Sunday, January 30, 2011

Dinner with the Locals

We had an opportunity to go to a big celebration dinner. To start off the festivities, a group of acholi dancers of all ages put on a show that lasted close to an hour. When I say dancers I mean it… they put on a show, giving it all they had. It was organized for all of the Norwegians, and Canadian donors for “the Child is Innocent.” There was also a barbeque, but what is interesting about the grilling process here is how there really is no distinction between steaks and ribs or for that matter organs it is all just chopped up put in a pot then stuck onto some skewers. Then stuck into a large metal cabinet looking thing that has coals in the bottom of it. Dr. Fred and myself, once again, were the very last people eating. We drank luke-warm beer and watched the moon rise up over the village of Kamakuri. I don’t know what was a bigger attraction the dancers or all of us white people all gathered into one place, but the whole village came to inspect the event. Emily and I would like to send out a special thank you to Grace and Edward for inviting us into their home for this once in a lifetime experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment