Thursday, January 13, 2011

Today Was a Good Day

I have weaseled my way into the Social Medicine course that Emily was hand picked for. The application process was extremely intense. Form after form needed to be filled out. Then there was an interview panel of Doctors from UW scrutinizing her every word. Then more paperwork, then more interviews, then vaccinations, then more paperwork, then a few more hoops and stupid human tricks. Finally, she is selected, the only student from the University of Washington to get selected I might add. The course instructors are allowing me to sit in on the social aspect of the course and this also includes Acholi lessons that are the language of the local people in northern Uganda. Then I am free to do whatever in the afternoon. One of the organizers of the course was talking about needing a soccer ball; I thought that it was needed for engaging the locals while we went on our field trips to the different clinics in the area so I went into town to get one. I ended up in a taxi with a Grad student from Harvard that already had two soccer balls and he offered them to me if I promised to donate them to the orphanage that is connected to Hospital at which we are staying. First thing first he needed his cigarettes, then he/we needed a beer, then another beer. Then it was time for me to go because I had a meeting with Dr. Fred to discuss my responsibilities and role in his NGO that he formed. The NGO is called “The Child is Innocent” it finds the right donors and the right recipients for further education. Here In Uganda only primary school is free, after that you have to pay fees. Dr. Fred is also helping to teach the Social Med course, the clinical part. So while he is doing that I will help with the interview process in his place.
With soccer balls, pump, and empty water bottle that I didn’t know what to do with in hand I jump on a bota bota, which is a taxi motorcycle. Six Km down a dusty dirt road with traffic zooming in all directions, not really sure where or how to hold on I arrive back at the Hospital. Dr. Fred was very impressed with my punctuality, but then went on to tell me how dangerous the bota bota’s are. Then he said come I will show you a safer way to travel on the bota botas. We walked over towards the group of motorcycles and drivers and they circled around us as Dr. Fred lined them all out, with only one hour of Acholi under my belt the only words I understand are “slowly, slowly.” He picks two of them he says to my driver “first wipe” then to me “then sit.” I Jump on Dr. Fred and his driver in front and me and mine right behind then we turn off the main road onto a trail no more than a couple of feet wide next to the train tracks. There are people walking with 5gallon jerry cans on their head, bicycles, and other motorcycles coming and going in all directions. We pass by one motorcycle and rider going over the track that dumped over while trying to cross over the tracks. Fred looked back at me as if to say see how dangerous these things are. Meanwhile I am getting whacked in the shins and feet with some kind of thorn bush. Dr. Fred is also in sandals and doesn’t seem to mind so I don’t either. Weaving from trail to trail, we finally hit our destination.
Fred introduces me to his brother-in-law Edward by saying “we both poached from the same herd” and then they began to argue over who got the best one each telling the other “you did,” “no you did.” Then I was introduced to Neil a farmer from Canada, a super nice guy who sponsors some kids. Then to Grace, Fred’s sister-in-law, who is a teacher and a board member for the Child is Innocent. As Fred is lining me out Grace prepares this amazing meal, and I hear this banging going on behind me. Not wanting to appear uninterested I did not look. Then John the worker for the family presented us with this orange stringy woody fruit as an appetizer. Fred proceeded to show me how to eat it; first you peal it by biting on the skin and ripping it off “then you chew, extracting the juice.” It tasted like a mango; a squash and a papaya all got together and had a baby. It was extremely messy and it got stuck in between all my teeth, but there was no way, or place to put it down so I kept going. Neil gave up on his piece fairly quickly. Fred smiled and said, “this is good jaw exercise” and “this is how Africans brush their teeth.” Then Dave showed up another Canadian who also sponsors some kids. He was not feeling well and Fred had prescribed some antibiotics to him, but they were not working as fast as Dave wished. Dave grabbing for his bag says “I tried your medicine now I will try mine” and pours himself and Edward a Gin and Coke.
Then the food came out, they hand out the plates and they gave forks to the two Canadians and me. Fred looks at me and says “the Acholi way is for us all to eat out of the same pot, but now we are so colonized we use plates” (which are more like bowls) then he tells me “you know we do not stop eating until all the food is gone” smiling knowing that this is just the sort of challenge I would be into. Neil looks at me and says “look at Fred eat, you should try that,” Fred is eating with his hands so I clean my fork off with my mouth and set it down and start eating with my hands. I just tried to keep up with Fred, by the way Fred is about an inch or two taller than me and big for a Ugandan. I kept up with him bowl for bowl but start to groan involuntarily. Fred is giving everyone a hard time about not eating enough then he shows me his plate and says “It looks as if I never eaten from it.” I was not as proficient, but finished all of my food just the same. Then Fred pours us both a big glass of juice, which is like extra sweet pineapple juice with extra sugar. He drinks it fast so I do also, then he says you probably need to get back to the hospital, Edward will drive you. I jump on another motorcycle for the third and final time today; it seems faster and dustier then the other times. I think it is going to take a lot of time until all the red dirt of Africa is washed away and that is just fine with me.
Today was a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment